Wednesday 12 August 2015

Avarekalu upittu/ field beans upma

Avarekalu upittu/ field beans upma

I was not aware of what went in this dish or any other avarekalu recipe,though had tasted it several times at a friend's place. At mom's place the only dish I tasted was avarekalu usali or gugri.
 I got to know  exactly what went in avarekalu/ field beans dishes, only after marriage at my in-laws place , I  thank my sis- in-law and co- sister from whom I learnt this recipe.
This is the second recipe of avarekalu, after avarekalu nipattu on my blog.
 The beans have to be flavourful . So wait for right avarekalu season to buy the beans(when the weather is misty). Else the dish with avarekalu will be tasteless.


Here goes the recipe. This recipe serves 2
Ingredients:
Upma rava/sooji- 1 cup
boiled field beans/ avarekalu- 3/4th cup



For tampering:

Oil- little more than 1/4 th cup
Mustard seeds- 1/2  tsp
channa dal- 1 tsp
urad dal- 1 tsp
Pepper corns-  a few
jeera- 1 tsp
curry leaves - 1 spring
green chillies- 3 nos finely chopped(add more acc to taste)
water - 2 1/2 cups( I added 1/4 th cup more as I like my upma little clumpy)
Coriander leaves chopped- 1 tbsp
fresh grated coconut- 2 tbsp
salt - to taste




Procedure:
Pound the pepper corns and jeera using a mortar and pestle into a coarse powder and set aside.
Heat a wok and roast the sooji until its warm . Set aside.
In the same wok heat oil and once hot add oil , add mustard seeds and once it crackles , add urad and channa dal, once the dal turns golden brown add pepper and jeera powder, green chilliea and curry leaves. Now slowly add water and keep the flame to medium high. Add salt , coriander leaves, grated coconut and the boiled field beans. Bring it to a boil . Once the water starts boiling simmer the flame to low and slowly add the roasted sooji strirring continously , taking care not to form lumps. Keep mixing until the upma starts leaving the sides of the pan and the sooji is well cooked. Switch off the flame and cover it for 5 mins. Serve hot with chutney pudi or hurigadale pudi.





No comments:

Post a Comment